Saturday, December 7, 2013

9-0 The Dream Achieved!

After a personal best of 7-3 (and several horrible 3-3s yesterday) in Hearthstone arena, I achieved the dream, going 9-0!

I played as a mage, though my draft wasn't all that exciting. I had NO legendaries, Pyroblasts, Polymorphs, or even Fireballs! I ended up with two Cone of Cold, one each of Mirror Entity, Mirror Image, Frost Nova, Frostbolt, Blizzard, and Flamestrike for spells. For spell cost reduction and damage boost I had two Sorcerer's Apprentice, one Ancient Mage, and one Azure Drake.

Other notable minions included Venture Co. Mercenary, Frost Elemental, Twilight Drake, two Acolyte of Pain, two Dire Wolf Apha, and a single Spellbreaker.

As usual, it was mage control, but instead of hard removal I focused on locking the enemy down with freeze. I played aggressively with my minions most of the run. Acolytes were clutch here, and in a pinch I'd ping one for card draw to find answers. Sometimes I'd get lucky and have spell damage on the field for larger Cones or Blizzards, which was crucial against a shaman in the 6th or 7th win bracket fielding a swarm of Harvest Golems and Defenders of Argus.

My closest match was in the 5th-6th win bracket against a rogue who had me at single digits with lethal on the field. Fortunately, I was able to drop their health low enough in turns prior to secure the win with an Acolyte-pinged topdeck Frostbolt.

Several of the games were pretty rough, and I saw a good deal of legendaries on the opposing board, including a Ysera that was bounced back to hand once it was low on health only to replayed immediately after. Ragnaros almost had me, but I was able to spam minions for him to target instead... and again, Acolytes were amazing here.

All told it was an amazing run, and my first impression of the deck was not the best. I envisioned it going 5-3, worse if I faced any amazing decks along the way. Suffice to say, my overall opinion of freezing has increased considerably. In the absence of hard removal, simply stalling for time can make all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment