Monday, December 6, 2010

4Story/Gates of Andaron Review

It's been a while since I played Gates of Andaron (or 4Story, depending on where you live), but I can recall a number of things both good and bad.

First up, the graphics as I remember them were overall pretty well done. Things had a good level of detail to them while still keeping that cartoony look popularized by World of Warcraft. Character creation was a bit lacking in options, but this is something you tend to get used to once you've tried enough free-to-play games.

The gameplay was solid, but relatively uninspired. I don't recall there being anything innovative about this game - even their versions of item upgrading seemed to be a clone of other systems.

The community however was rather active and I found it quite easy to find a guild to join and guildmembers to go questing with.

What really surprised me was the level of difficulty of some of the quests. I remember having to find an NPC lost near a lake in an area swarmed by bees and hornets. Finding the NPC wasn't too bad, but the next quest involved killing a number of them so the NPC could freely escape. no big deal, or so I thought as I went to kill my first insect.

Little did I know that attacking one of these typically angered others nearby, and soon I had several of the stingers on me at once! I promptly died and was placed back at camp. Giving it another go, I found that finishing these bugs off was a pretty hard task, and was a low-level quest to boot.

I'm not one for "easy-mode" games, in fact that's one of the reasons I got bored of WoW, but that difficult of a quest early on really had me wondering.

After a while of playing, I got to that point most dreaded by most American MMO gamers - the grind. I was out of quests (and believe me I went looking for more) and was forced to randomly slay monsters to level. It was at this point that I felt I had enough of the game and quit.

I really feel that this would've been a solid title had there been more quests at my disposal. If you can get past the grind, you might have something you enjoy.

Final Rating: 3/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment